May 10, 2012

Gracias por mi cafe...Feliz Dia de las Madres

Today is Mother's Day in Mexico. Instead of of every 2nd Sunday, their date is May 10th. Margo asked me what i wanted today, that he had to work but would be home early to go out to eat. I told him I'd love some pancakes for breakfast. 


So when I came downstairs, there was a stack of blueberry pancakes in a pan on the stove, and a to-go mug of coffee nearby. Margo had already left though. I thought, oh, how sweet, he left me coffee too, and so thoughtful to put it in a to-go mug so it wouldn't get cold. My daughter and I ate the pancakes and I sent him a text message to thank him for the breakfast, to which he responded, "enjoy it."  Then I heard his truck in the driveway. I met him at the door and said, "Sorry I didn't wait, I didn't think you were going to join us" He responded, "no I just came back because I forgot my coffee." You should have seen the look on my face. But we both had a good laugh about it, including my daughter, who was watching us from her highchair as her Dad hugged me goodbye. 


I think the point is to not take ourselves too seriously, but also value ourselves as women and mothers. For me, it was easy to laugh off the coffee mixup because I feel valued every day—as partners my husband and I make equal contributions to raising our daughter and I don't feel put upon in this family. On the other hand, it's been up to no one else but me to make the effort to take as much care of myself as possible. I feel good about the sacrifices I've made because they were made consciously and of my own free will.  Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be celebrated, but ultimately our value as mothers shouldn't boil down how many roses we receive or how fancy of a dinner we are treated. It actually occurred to me to say thank you to my daughter this morning, for giving me the opportunity to experience one of most meaningful things I've ever done in my life: motherhood.


Feliz Día de las Madres a todas mis amigas mamás, que disfruten este día y todo el año al máximo y que nunca olvidemos de cuidar a la mama de tod@s, nuestra Madre Tierra. p.d. gracias a mi amiga Miriam por este imagen, no se quien es el autor pero me parece muy bella.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!