August 6, 2014

Day 2-3 of the Elimination Diet

Today, the third day on the elimination diet prescribed by my naturopathic doctor, was the first day I started craving some things. Mainly sugary things. But also cereal in the morning. The crunch was what I missed actually.

The other thing I'm noticing is cooking copious amounts of vegetables and whole foods is quite time-consuming. I'm lucky I'm not working mornings right now... hopefully by the end of this I'll have learned more tricks for making it more convenient, larger batches and freezing maybe.

But I have been having fun delving back into more whole foods in general. I'm actually surprised at how many options I have that aren't "off limits."

Breakfasts have centered a lot on amaranth, fruit, almond milk, and nuts.

Lunches and main dishes are centering a lot on some sort of veggie and/or legume dish with a rice-based side.

Fruit and nuts (in some form) for snacks are common, and I've only had one salad since I started this—I'm not confined to lettuce.

Highlights from the last couple days:

-Banana "sorbet" (frozen mashed overripe banana mixed with almond butter, recommended by my mom)
-Fava bean soup (From the Healthy Cook by Rodale Press)
-Wild/Brown Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms (also from the HC)
-Sweet Potato Home Fries (seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, roasted at 250 C for 30 min)

I made this up myself, it will *definitely* be repeated after the diet is over. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention, I was craving comfort food & I got it, in a healthy version. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!